Supreme Court on Monday annulled Criminal Court’s 13-year prison conviction of former President Mohamed Nasheed.
Nasheed was convicted of terrorism charges and given a 13-year prison sentence on March 13, 2015 for arresting former Criminal Court Judge Abdulla Mohamed during his regime. While both the Supreme Court and High Court had previously upheld Criminal Court’s verdict, Nasheed’s case was requested to be reviewed by the Prosecutor General’s Office on October 28.
Annulling the terrorism conviction against Nasheed, Chief Justice Dr. Ahmed Abdulla Didi stated that due to the invalid basis on which the case was built, all succeeding decisions are also unconstitutional, thus null and void.
Speaking to the press outside the court, Nasheed said that it is a joyous day for him and said his freedom is a direct outcome of the steadfastness and perseverance of the Maldivian people in seeking justice, which resulted in the success of the coalition alliance.
Nasheed said the last three years, both in prison and in self-exile abroad, were difficult and burdensome days. Thus he thanked his family members, Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) members, and his legal team who all helped him during his time in incarnation. He also thanked all the people of the country for their support.
Nasheed said he hopes and believes the country’s judicial system be operated upon justice. President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih had pledged to establish justice in the country, and there is no doubt he will take the country to a safe harbor, he said.
Noting that former President Abdulla Yameen’s administration had negatively influenced many including the courts, Nasheed said these issues will be solved in the coming days.
Although the previous government had brought development to the country, it is justice that the people seek, Nasheed said.
When a journalist questioned whether Nasheed would be seen at the Parliament he did not directly respond to this inquiry but said that he would never leave the political arena.