Ministry of Islamic Affairs announced that only six companies from Maldives have been granted permission to send pilgrims on the Hajj Pilgrimage this year.
Speaking at a press conference held at the Islamic ministry on Sunday, deputy minister Shafiu Ali said 18 companies submitted their proposals this year, of which only five companies were granted permission after evaluation.
Private companies granted permission includes;
• Thazkiya Pvt Ltd – MVR 72,550
• ZAEEMA Pvt Ltd – MVR 70,000
• Mina Hajj and Umrah Pvt Ltd – MVR 69,965
• Acro Pvt Ltd – MVR 59,965
• Al-Haramain Hajj and Umrah Maldives Pvt Ltd – MVR 69,965
Shafiu stated that Saudi Arabia granted 1000 quota allocations for Maldives this year. Out of this, 550 quotas have been given to Hajj Corporation, while the other companies were given 90 quotas each.
The ministry also revealed that the Saudi government has decided to grant an additional 1000 quota, which will soon be granted. These will also be distributed in the same manner as the previous 1000 quota, the ministry said.
Shafiu said that the ministry hopes all companies adhere to the services promised in their proposals, in serving the pilgrims.
Noting that there has been growing concern among the public in previous years, regarding excess charges levied by companies, Shafiu advised companies to refrain from such actions.
“While a specific amount has been established, charging or paying any additional amount from pilgrims, in any way or form, is a crime, punishable by law”, Shafiu said.
Shafiu also stated that in the event the permitted quotas from any company are cancelled or the company fails to send pilgrims to Hajj, the quotas will be transferred to Hajj Corporation.
The same number of companies from Maldives was allowed to send pilgrims to Hajj last year.