Islamic Ministry has announced the Zakat Fund scholarships for the year on Monday.
Speaking at a press conference held at Islamic ministry on Monday, minister Dr. Ahmed Ziyad Baqir said 73 scholarship opportunities from the Zakat Fund will be opened this year.
These include 20 slots to become Imams, 10 slots to become Arabic teachers and five slots each to study Islam and Dhivehi.
Minister said 40 percent of the slots were specifically for areas directly related to the Islamic religion while the remaining 60 percent of the slots were for other beneficial areas needed for the country.
Islamic ministry said the scholarships funded by the Zakat Fund include diploma and degree level courses in the country and masters level courses from abroad.
The application will be opened from Tuesday or Wednesday onwards, ministry said.
MVR 10 million from the Zakat Fund has been assigned for scholarship opportunities.